Monday, March 19, 2012

CAN I BE SATWA?







Before I did any research on this album I could hardly tell what hemisphere it came from. The sitar enters Satwa into the realm of psychadelia while the 12 string guitar rings true romantic Latin American style. Parts of the album even remind me of the old time revivalists like John Fahey and Leo Kottke, and I suspect this was a gem they may have marveled. Lula Cortes and Lailson de Holanda Cavalcanti are the two tripped-out Brazilians who recorded this album in 1973 and unfortunately it was a one time deal. At the time of it's production and release Brazil was subject to the rule of a military dictatorship and it's speculated that because of the inevitable censorship of the regime, Satwa is a lyricless album. Although it's also possible that they were really stoned and couldn't come up with anything so they just decided to hum and chant. Apparently Cortes was some kind of hippie-god so...Make of it what you want, I find this to be some really inspiring stuff.







No comments:

Post a Comment